Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pitching your script to a studio

All right, so I just got home from a pitch for a television concept I came up with last week.
The studio I went to wanted something not over developed, but something they'd be willing to work with me on.

Pitching is an unusual art form. You're selling your project to them, whether that be a screenplay, a TV show, a treatment, whatever, you are selling this thing.
Not only are you selling this "genius, fresh new film" but you're selling yourself too. Don't be a douche bag when you're in there. Be courteous and polite... And don't dress like you're about to go to Chilis with some of your dopey alcoholic buddies, either.

I went in with a proposal I had worked hard on, to give a fifteen minute pitch (which I felt was too long), and then just leave.
It's draining. It really is.

This wasn't my first network pitch, so I kinda knew what I was getting into... But when you leave, prepare to feel emotionally gone for a while.

So, what I do is, I let myself be down and out on the ride home. Generally, you're going to be in the LA area, you're going to hit traffic. I let myself reflect on the pitch, whether feeling good or bad, then once I get home, I don't allow myself to feel that way.

So, what's next?

Well, you can take your super original, fresh new screenplay elsewhere, or get started on your next project.
For me, I've got a new script that I want to write, so that's my primary focus...

And I have another pitch next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment