Sunday, September 27, 2009

Post #2: The Revenge

This is the first semester in a few years I haven't directed a short. I don't like this break.

I'm trying to develop a long-term project along side my next short so I can keep shooting while I'm writing my big shorts... Even though it's 'quality over quantity;' I'm happiest behind the camera. So with that in mind I'm figuring out how to get the best of both worlds.

My next one is character based versus a lot of my previous ones were primarily situational based. Even though it's looking like I'm keeping the story structure that of my usual situational but I'm creating a different layer for myself in which is this character.

Right now I'm at the point where plot points are flying at me at different times... This is the longest part of making a movie for me: writing the script. My last script came as random vague scene concepts. It got to the point where the story was completely mapped out in detail and all I needed to do was write dialogue.

It's about getting the character from point A to point B without it seeming boring and giving substance to the character. I want the audience to have an emotion for the character whether they love them or hate them.

It becomes a balancing act, so to speak. You've got to create a diverse ensemble that makes it seem like they all belong together, as well as giving them their own entitlement on screen so they all don't run together.

No comments:

Post a Comment